Saturday 14 February 2015

New BCY-X string, how many strands to use? & Angel

Well, I just burnt the serving of my 22-strand recurve BCY-X string, so I'll have the unfortunate opportunity of getting the 20 strand to see if it fits better. The 22 strand is quite tight for my Easton platinum 1716 arrows with a normal nock (should be #1 easton). I have 2 other strings, not sure what material. Probably around the Dacron / 8125 region. But one is 18 strand while another is 16.

Wait for a week to see if the 20 strand is a good size.
**update**
16 strand string was on the verge of dropping. A large move and the arrow falls off.
18 strand provided a good hold. A tap did the trick.
Yes! The 20 strand is just slightly tight on the arrow, but is much better than the 22 strand.
The net says that the arrow should fall off the string with a gentle tap on the string. Mine was a not-so-gentle tap, but it still fell off!! So I'll just go with it :)

Btw, the with the BCY-X string made by Avalon tec-one, it looks soooooooooo good with my black winex, and black KAP Winstorm II. Together with red stabs and red sight, it'll be the nicest setup I've ever seen. For pictures, refer to post on Winstorm II review


-Add 19 Sep, 2015-
So I've started to play around with string making, cause I found a string making jig and a spool of Astro Flight string lying around. So a friend and I bought a serving jig, angel majestic pro string and angel majestic serving to try making our own string.

Research tells me that for Astro Flight and Angel Majestic, 16 strands is a good number for 32# and above. If you're pulling less than 30#, you can probably do 14 strands as well.
Serving diameter: we bought the 0.021" diameter but it is too thick for my platinum arrows' G-nocks, for both 14 and 16 strands. So I'll be getting 0.018" for the center servings while 0.021" for end loops.

In summary

Nock size 1, I would use the same Angel configuration for poundage up to 44#
32-36#bcyxAngel MajesticAstro Flight
strand count181614
serving size0.021"0.021"0.021"



--Add 26 Jan, 2016-- On the line between think and thin
Based on my G-nock and my friends' G-nock, we have different preferences in terms of serving width and string strand count.
1) Astroflight 16 strands & 0.021" center serving
Me: Initially tight. After using, the nocking area gets thinner. Alright for use, but still too tight to my liking
Friend: Prefers this set up as the arrow wont fall off too easily. In case of accidental touches

2) Angel 16 strands & 0.018" center serving
Me: Perfect. Comes off easily yet not too susceptible to gentle touches
Friend: Too lose. His fingers shifted when hooking the arrow and felt that he might accidentally dry fire

--Add 24 Feb, 2016--
Thickness update of Astro Flight & Angel Majes Pro.
16 strands of both Astro Flight and Angel was made with Angel serving (0.018" diameter).
AFs are much THICKER than Angel. The Angel was just nice (or just slightly thicker) for my carbon express arrows, pin nocks

Extensions:
The Astro extended within shooting 50 arrows, my brace height decreased just 2mm. Did not extend some more
The Angel seemed to extend non-stop. Only till about 200-300 arrows later did it stop extending. Brace height dropped by like 8mm. Suggestion if you're making your own Angel Majes Pro. Make your string just 5mm longer than the required length when its strung up. (I made 64"). Able to do 20-25 twists on the string. When it extends again, should go back to your expected brace height

----
Let me know if this helped!
Feel free to contact me at buzytmj@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment