Saturday 14 February 2015

Kayaking equipment

I started Kayaking first, about 2 years ago. Before going into Archery when school started. So I've got a list of kayaking equipment too. By now you would have realised that the sports I join are all very expensive :/

-----
ONNO full tour, 203-213cm, Received on Jan 2013
Speaking to Patrick was a very good experience.

Physical appearance
The paddle itself, it was my mistake to get a 203-213 as it is an expedition paddle and the length is toooo short. My recommendation is 210-220.
The paddle is full carbon signature, as Patrick calls it. Full carbon shaft, and mixture of carbon and fibreglass blades. He assisted to re-enforce the tips upon request.
The outlook isn't refined and poised as many other paddles around. It looks rough and rugged. But for me, what matters is it works.
It is the lightest around, as the shaft is hollow. Additionally, his ferrule allows adjustments of up to 10cm. The only downside is the difficulty in splitting them apart after a tiring day of paddling. Also, the blades may seem very flimsy.

Performance
It is a very good TOURING paddle, extremely recommended for low angle use, up to 45 degrees.
Its large face makes it difficult for quick successive strokes. Slow relaxed strokes recommended.
The dihedral face makes for a very good catch. From the start to the end of the stroke, its seems inseparable from the water. I like this as it forces me to rotate my torso for a longer stroke backwards to recover the blade. However, many of my friends don't like this. So take note, this blade design requires a very long stroke.
Mentioned above is the flimsiness. But do not be fooled. In the water, there is zero flutter, zero vibration, zero sideway movement. It feels firm as hell. I say again, the blades are thin and look flimsy when you shake it on land. But in water, it is like concrete.

Overall
Price is reasonable for a paddle made to order, and specifically made to your requests. Good for relaxing days, don't think about racing with this FULL TOUR MODEL. Only inconvenience is taking apart the 2pc paddle.
Can't and won't comment about the other paddles he makes. Though they look very good on his website.

Comparing
I have tried others' Werner ikelos and shuna. Honestly, I'd prefer the werners as the ONNO requires quite a bit of strength to pull. Only thing is the weight. ONNO is the lightest ever cause of the hollow shaft.

pictures when i feel like taking them
-----

Astral Greenjacket (GJ) PFD 2014 edition, blue
The most comfortable PFD I've ever worn. Very good, low profile. Very buoyant. Very maneuverable in it.

Comparing
to the Stohlquist descent: The descent has a higher buoyancy. But, also a fatter profile. Wearing the descent, i can't put my arms straight down my waist to the thighs as it is HUGE. The GJ on the other hand, due to the lower profile, is more comfortable in this aspect. Plus, the GJ splits its front floatation into 2 pieces, while the descent is all in 1 chunk.
GJ's pockets wise, yes the clamshell is quite large. But, the 2 side ones are pfft. I haven't found any safety equipment able to fit inside. Usually the carabiner takes up the whole space.Mostly because it is on the foam which is rounded.

to the OLD peakuk river guide: the GJ looks so much more sturdy. The riverguide's neoprene sides can get worn out after a lot of torture. And they more often than not, get uncomfortable when adjusting the sides, The river guide's profile is much nicer though.

to the NEW peakuk river guide: The new riverguide is extremely difficult to adjust.
I adjust my vest in this manner. Waist + chest -> hip -> shoulders. (read on to listen to my rambling)
1. The shoulder adjustments are inhibited by the shoulderpads. Yes, the shoulderpads are nice and comfortable, but you'll have to remove the velcro before adjusting the length of the shoulder strap. Which by the way is much more complex than just pulling forward because of the way it is put into the buckle. So there is NO WAY I was able to adjust the shoulder strap length while wearing the vest.
2. Ok great, the vest got over my head. Let me adjust the side straps. Oh wait, I can't find them??!! Peakuk has built them on the inside. That is a very good idea for keeping the straps out of the way, especially since it is a type V vest. But hey, there is no more dual-adjusting. It is a single strap going from the back to the front, then back again to emerge in front in a Z shape. Prefer your vest to be tight? Well, remember that your hand has to go between you and the vest to reach for the side straps?
3. Buckles at the bottom are the same as the old one
The zip compartments are plenty, but mostly to carry rescue equipment, or some small snacks. The zips openings are very tight and not able to stretch.

However, I do have to credit the comfort and profile after the difficult adjustments. Very low profile, does not hinder movements of the arms or torso.


How Astral does it is quite ingenious. They wrap foam around the sides as well. This gives support to the waist, which is honestly, very comfortable. Descent does it exaggeratedly, hence the discomfort i feel. Plus, the descent has a neoprene side. Yes just 1 side. The other side is the zipper.

Overall
The GJ is expensive. But it is a very good PFD to wear. Comfort is A+, materials used are durable. Fit is very good with the 8 adjustment points. Only downside is the excess at the adjustments. And pullover design if anyone hates it.
-----

Bombergear k-bomb spray skirt

I have never been so impressed. The workmanship is totally 'bombproof', as they term themselves. Seem indestructable. The only water that goes in is those from my shirt. The rest is flawless. What more do i have to say. Everyone in my club owns one of this.
Price is a factor though. Close to 300SGD.
-----

Let me know if this helped!
Feel free to contact me at buzytmj@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment